Yorùbá people are notorious for their bad mouths. We have a tendency to be quite loud in voice tone and as if that isn’t enough problem, we also have a tendency for insults and curses. To the extent that, other Nigerian tribes want to learn how to insult people from us! And that’s what this article is about. To give you a glimpse into just 55 of the hundreds of insults available to the average Yoruba person’s brain. Check ’em below.
It is pronounced as oh-loh-ree-boo-roo-koo
Meaning: A person with a bad head.
2. AṣiwèrèPronounced as: ah-she-ay-ray
Meaning: A person who’s gone mad.
3. AsínwínPronounced as: ah-see-n-wee-n
Meaning: Mentally insane person.
The “n” in pronunciation is slightly silent.
4. Bọ̀lọ̀Pronounced as: baw-law
Meaning: Not smart/dull person
5. Ọ̀dẹ̀Pronounced as: aw-deh
Pronounced as: oh-poh-nooMeaning: a mentally sick person.
Pronounced as: daw-daw-yawMeaning: Mentally slow
Pronounced as: ah-lah-ee-loh-joo-teeMeaning: shameless person
Pronounced as: eh-raw-n-kohMeaning: animal
Pronounced as: eh-leh-dehMeaning: Pig
Pronounced as: ah-ree-n-dee-nMeaning: Mentally deficient/slow brained
Pronounced as: oh-loh-doh
Meaning: Empty headed
Pronounced as: oh-loh-shee
Meaning: A person that does rubbish or irresponsible things
Pronounced as: way-rayMeaning: Mad person
15. Ọmọ àlè
Pronounced as: aw-maw-ah-layMeaning: Bastard
16. Èèyàn játijàti
Pronounced as: ay-yaw-n+ jah-tee-jah-teeMeaning: A rubbish person
Pronounced as: ah-lah-yay-mah-sha-n-fah-neeMeaning: A person whose life can’t amount to anything
Pronounced as: oh-moo-gawMeaning: Dumb person
Pronounced as: ah-sheh-wohMeaning: Prostitute
Pronounced as: oh-loh-oh-roo-nMeaning: Smelly person
21. Èèyàn lásán-làsàn
Pronounced as: ay-yaw-n + lah-saw-n-lah-saw-nMeaning: An ordinary person of no worth
22. ÒbùnMeaning: dirty person
23. ÉleríibuMeaning: A bad headed person
24. Ode burukuMeaning: Severe fool
25. SófoMeaning: Gossiper
26. OlofofoMeaning: one who spreads gossip
27. Elejo weweMeaning: Talkative
28. Alainironu ara GalatiaMeaning: The thoughtless/shameless person from Galatia (drawn from the Bible)
29. ỌdajuMeaning: Heartless person
30. Ọmọ òfòMeaning: A waste of a child
31. Olórí nlaMeaning: Big Head
32. ApodaMeaning: Fool
33. Sule egberaMeaning: dull person from Egbera (I think?)
34. Su’egbeMeaning: Slow Person
35. Olounje iyaMeaning: Gluuton for food
36. SugọmuMeaning: Dullard
37. ẸrankoMeaning: Animal
38. EwurẹMeaning: Goat
39. AtọọleMeaning: One that bed-wets
40. AṣuleMeaning: One that poos right in their pants.
41. Onibaje oṣiMeaning: Spoilt and rubbish person.
42. ỌbunMeaning: Dirty person
43. AgbayaMeaning: Useless elder
44. Ọ̀bọ langidoMeaning: Monkey from Langido (I guess?)
45. Alapa stainless
Literal Meaning: One whose arms are made of stainless steel.
Meaning in Context: Useless arms
46. GbeborunMeaning: One that pokes their nose in other people’s business.
47. SofoMeaning: One that gossips a lot.
48. Ori ẹ o peMeaning: Your head is not correct.
48. Igbadun ti jina si ẹMeaning: Enjoyment / Wellness is far from you
49. Iyanla iya ẹ!Meaning: Your great grand mother is…. ! (well, fill in the gap with any curse.)
50. Iya ẹ!Meaning: Your mother!
51. Baba ẹMeaning: Your Father!
52. Ko dẹ ni da fun ẹMeaning: And it will not be well with you.
53. Gbẹnu ofo sọunMeaning: Stop talking with that unfortunate mouth.
54. O dẹ maa ṣoriibu niMeaning: And you will be unfortunate.
55. Olobo Town councilMeaning: A lady that has slept with all the men in town.
There are so much more! Please use with care. These are insults. They are mental and emotional daggers. Use with caution. Ire o!